“Why should I create a LinkedIn account while I’m still in graduate school? I am not looking for a job yet…”
Whether you are interested in a career in academic research or are considering a different path, building your professional network early will allow you to learn more about potential opportunities.
- Most professional opportunities arise through people who know you or people who made a referral
- Your profile works as an online resume: Recruiters and potential collaborators can find you
- You can ask to be introduced to people who work in a company that interests you
- You can see the career paths of alumni from your graduate and undergraduate institutions.
- You can join discussions with scientists and other like-minded professionals
Here are some tips and best practices for creating an effective LinkedIn profile and a fruitful networking experience:
A. Create your LinkedIn profile (+/-)
B. Refine your profile (+/-)
C. Network (+/-)
D. Stay connected and visible (+/-)
E. Join Groups (+/-)
F. Take full advantage of the search options (+/-)
Helpful Links (+/-)